Why should you register your DBS with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service
Do you know why we encourage all of our candidates to register their DBS with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service?
On this page, our Compliance Team Leader, Courtney Dunkley explains how the DBS Update Service works, the benefits of the service and how to register with the DBS Update Service.
What is the DBS Update Service and how does it work?
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service allows:
- applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date without having to apply for a new one every time you change job roles or is required due to compliance
- employers to check a DBS certificate online with your consent
The DBS update service is an annual subscription service which you can register with either whilst you are in the process of obtaining your DBS or within 30 days of receiving a new DBS
Currently it is an annual payment of £13 and you can pay by direct debit or credit card.
What are the benefits of the update service?
It will save you time and money as you will only ever need to apply and pay for one DBS and then pay an annual subscription of £13 which is far cheaper than applying for a new DBS every year.
You can take your DBS certificate from role to role (if within the same workforce, where the same type and level of check is required).
Employers can carry out instant online status checks on DBS certificates that are linked to your subscription which might just give you a crucial edge when applying for new roles as potential employers can pass you through their safeguarding process quicker than others who may be applying who don’t have a DBS registered with the Update Service.
The service enhances safeguarding processes.
You have more control as you are able to:
- view the status of any DBS certificate linked to your subscription
- amend your contact details
- add and remove applications and DBS certificates
- view the details of any organisations that have made a status check of your DBS certificates
- view the status and expiration date of your subscription
- view the reference details of any applications and/or DBS certificates linked to your subscription
- cancel and renew your subscription - you will receive an email 30 days before your subscription expires
How to register with the update service
Currently, registration with the DBS Update Service lasts for one year and costs £13 per year and starts from the date your DBS certificate was issued. You can register for the Update Service either during your DBS application process or once you have received your DBS certificate.
If you are in the process of applying for your enhanced DBS check:
You will need your application reference number (called ‘form ref’ on your application form) and the DBS must receive your application form within 28 days of the start of your application.
If you already have a standard or enhanced DBS certificate:
You will need your certificate number. You must register for the Update Service within 30 days of the certificate being issued.
To register with the Update Service you will need to provide the Disclosure and Barring Service with the following information:
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Application form reference and/or e-reference number on your DBS certificate
- Payment card details/bank account details
To find out more and to register with the DBS Update service you can visit gov.uk website here.
Why is it important to keep your Original DBS Certificate Safe
Although employers can carry out online checks quickly with the Update Service, they still need to verify your original DBS certificate so you will still need to show this to any future employers and also to any schools that you work at whilst working at Flourish.
I hope you have found this information useful and you now understand the benefits of registering your DBS with the Update Service.
If you need any help or guidance on this matter, please call 0300 3033227
and I will be happy to help.